MISS DIG 811 Education Department
The MISS DIG 811 Education Department is responsible for promoting public awareness of underground facility damage prevention practices. The Education Department provides knowledge and training to facility owners/operators, utility locators, excavators, and the public in pursuit of reducing damages to underground facilities in Michigan. Once the level of awareness and education/certification increases across the state, the department will look to certify industry stakeholders to become active advocates of the damage prevention message within their locality. To this end, the Safe Digging Advocate Award and other programs are available:
It’s time to nominate an individual for the Safe Digging Advocate Award!
- Mileage expenses to and from the 2018 MISS DIG 811 Annual Meeting
- Hotel expenses for him/herself and a guest
- Meal expenses
- Free admission to all events
MISS DIG 811 LIVE! Teleconferences
The Education Team offers monthly MISS DIG 811 LIVE! Teleconferences (see choices in Schedule of Upcoming Events below) on a variety of MISS DIG 811-related topics. These teleconferences allow the sharing of damage prevention information while serving as an open forum between excavators, facility owners, locators, and other interested parties to discuss projects, concerns, and trends without leaving their jobsite or office.
You are welcome to attend any teleconference that fits your schedule. If there is a topic you would like to see discussed, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the MISS DIG 811 Education Team at 811 ext. 5.
Monthly Teleconference Topics and Documents
- Consumers Energy Topic: MIOSHA Importance of Electrical Safety Power Line Clearance- Topic Sheet
- Consumers Energy Topic: Home Generator Safety- Home Generator Safety Brochure
- MISS DIG Topic: Positive Response-
- Consumers Energy Topic: Complimentary Safety Training: Gas & Electric Hazard Awareness
- MISS DIG Topic: Web Ticket Programs, Project Tickets, and Hand Exposing-
- Consumers Energy Topic: Carbon Monoxide
- MISS DIG Topic: Re-Transmitting a Ticket-
- Consumers Energy Topic: Free Contractor Training from Consumers Energy: Working Safely Around Gas & Electric Facilities
- MEETING NOTES
- MISS DIG Topic: What determines which members get a ticket? What determines the work area that gets located?
- Consumers Energy Topic: Public Safety Outreach & Damage Prevention, Team Contact Information
- MEETING NOTES
- MISS DIG Topic: Cross Bores & Requirements for Detection of New Facilities
- MEETING NOTES
- MISS DIG Topic: Scope of Work including changes to utility pole guidelines
- MEETING NOTES
- MISS DIG Topic: Everything you ever wanted to know about Positive Response, but were afraid to ask.
- MEETING NOTES
MISS DIG Topic: NEAR TICKET- giving you the ability to see what tickets were placed in the area of your project.
MISS DIG Topic: How do I know when it's safe to dig? What should I do when it's not?
MISS DIG Topic: MISS DIG 811 Tools & Resources including Enhanced Positive Response, Near Ticket, Web Ticket Management System, e-Suite
- MISS DIG Topic: Gold Shovel Standard
- MISS DIG Topic: Web Ticket Management System
MISS DIG Topic: Attaching Documents to Tickets and Excavator Response
- MISS DIG Topic: RTE Refresher Training
MISS DIG 811 Safe Excavation Practices Certification Program
The MISS DIG 811 Safe Excavation Practices Certification Program offers excavators training and information on several safety and facility damage prevention topics at no cost. Managers are welcome to sign up for company-wide certification. This MISS DIG 811 Certificate can be a positive statement to your customers.
In addition to the online Safe Excavation Practices Certification course, Specialists present the certification course on the road with the Safe Excavation Practices Workshops at a location near you! (see choices in Schedule of Upcoming Events below)
If you would like to access your MISS DIG 811 Certification Account through 4iQ Solutions, please log in by clicking on this link: https://4iq.azurewebsites.net/4iq/login. Reminder: all users received an email with their new login information. If you have questions, contact please Linda Portelli by email at LPortelli@missdig811.org or by phone at (248) 370-6441.
Current MISS DIG 811 Training Modules include:
- Public Act 174
- Tools and Resources
- Pipeline Safety
- Overhead Electric
- Locator Services
Benefits of Certification:
- Safe excavation practices prevent injuries, property damage, outages, project delays, and high costs
- Safety is our highest priority. Hold your employees and hired contractors to the highest excavation standards.
- It’s a great way to market your company when your employees are safety certified!
Member Benefits: Remote Member Access and Ticket Management System
Damage Prevention Association Support
If you are interested in re-establishing Damage Prevention Association (DPA) meetings in your local area, please feel free to contact the Education Department at email@example.com for suggestions. A member of the Education Team will participate in several of your DPA meetings throughout the year to provide educational information, updates, and helpful material. We will also promote your efforts on our website and in our newsletters.
Online Ticket Entry
- Ticket Search – print copies of tickets.
- Positive Response - Utilities post responses to ticket requests
- Ticket Entry at your convenience: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Ticket Entry on any computer or laptop, supported with an HTML5 browser
- Ticket Participation in this program is now mandatory for all facility owners/operators, who provide drawings or records for the area as described by the designer.
- All communication regarding design requests will be between the designer and the facility owner/operator.
e-Locate Tickets can be easily entered for a single address without training
The Education Department Team
Check dates and times below and your inbox for future announcements regarding certification workshop locations. You can also contact us directly to become safety certified at your next company meeting or an upcoming event!
Remember, safe digging is no accident!
We hope that you will join us soon to become MISS DIG 811 Certified!
If you are interested in receiving MISS DIG 811's Monthly Newsletter, which includes safety related topics and events, please click here or complete the form below.
MISS DIG 811 Schedule of Upcoming Events
TO RSVP, CLICK ONE OF THE BOXES BELOW
If you have any questions about these calls, or need any assistance in fulfilling your damage prevention requirements, MISS DIG Subject Matter Experts are available to provide support, conduct presentations, and offer resources that can be distributed to your staff. We look forward to working with you.
East/Central Michigan – Paul Harding: (248) 370-6426, firstname.lastname@example.org
Northern Michigan – Colleen Goddard: (906) 789-3083, email@example.com
West/Central Michigan – Linda Portelli: (248) 370-6441, firstname.lastname@example.org
Education Manager- Gwen Knowles: (248) 370-6404, email@example.com
Director of Marketing – Bruce Campbell: (248) 370-6446, firstname.lastname@example.org