How to Place a Locate Request
There are two convenient ways to reach MISS DIG 811 to place a Locate Request:
- Via the web at - Click Before You Dig Using eLocate or through the RTE program
- Call Before You Dig, 8-1-1 is the nationwide toll-free number for locate services. Call MISS DIG 811’s toll-free number, our toll-free number 1-800-482-7171 and is staffed 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
You can now enter your own locate request for excavation at a single address if you have a valid email. You will receive a confirmation email from MISS DIG 811 along with general information pertaining to the excavation project. NOTE: Your e-Locate is not valid until you receive an email confirmation from MISS DIG 811 with a start date and time.
You will be required to answer some questions when you contact the MISS DIG System to place a Locate Request, including:
- Your name and phone number.
- The contractor or person doing the work.
- The geographical location (county andcity, village, or township) of the work area.
- The address where the work will be done.
- Nearest cross streets to the work site
- The type of work being done; for example, installing a fence or building a deck.
- Information about the project area that identifies the boundaries for the utility representatives; for example, locate underground utility lines 100 feet from the north side of the house; locate underground utility lines in the entire yard; or locate underground utility lines in the front yard.